Monday, May 14, 2012

Favorite Things: Spiralizer

I'm not normally an advocate of kitchen gadgets. Most things can be accomplished with a few simple tools. A sharp knife, a strong cutting board, a sturdy pan, and maybe a blender are all a person really needs to have in their kitchen. I try to apply this concept to all aspects of life; scaling back as much as possible instead of buying and hording and feeling buried in clutter. Every now and again, something will catch my eye and I have to have it. Not surprisingly, most of these things wind up as white elephant gifts to friends, as part of a family member's garage sale, or being donated to good will. But sometimes I find something so fun and clever, I can't help but think, "where have you been all my life?!"

I introduce... The Spiralizer!


If you're interested in picking up a spiralizer you can get one here: http://www.amazon.com/World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade-Vegetable/dp/B0007Y9WHQ

I had no idea what to do with this thing. I think it sat on my counter for 3 weeks before I even thought about trying it. First, I used it to make apple curls. It was fine. But honestly, I couldn't figure out the point of eating apples curled. The kids thought it was fun, but it still just tasted like an apple. So, next I spiralized a carrot. It made super cute carrot squiggles! But again, in a day and age where it's not exactly complicated to shred a carrot, I couldn't figure out why I needed this thing. It wasn't until I read a post at my dear friend's blog, http://anniessimplelife.blogspot.com/2010/07/eatin-out-of-pantry-part-1.html, that I absolutely had to try zucchini noodles.

About 10 seconds later I was hooked!

Not only are zucchini noodles delicious; they are gluten free, they are vegan, they are low carb, they are low sodium, and yeah... they're just veggies! One ingredient: zucchini. Done. One normal sized zucchini will fill a giant pasta bowl. My favorite easy lunch is just zucchini noodles with my favorite marinara sauce lightly warmed and tossed all over the top. But if you're in the mood for something super fresh and yummy, check this out.

It already looks pretty good, doesn't it?!









Pictured here is one pint of fresh diced heirloom tomatoes, a bunch of diced garlic scapes, one large zucchini, fresh basil and half a lemon. Everything here was fresh from my garden except for the lemon. In my house, cheap is always a plus! Once I had all of my ingredients tossed together in a bowl, I couldn't help but add a bit of black olives and tofu feta to the top. (recipe follows)











This is such a refreshing lunch or light and healthy dinner. The best part is that it is so well balanced in all of the good nutrition you need. Zucchini is loaded with potassium and folic acid. It's high in Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Beta Carotene. As a bonus, it is 95% water. So one zucchini has approximately 20 calories. (That's nearly 1/10 the calorie content of regular pasta!) The tomatoes are high in lycopene, which helps neutralize free radical damage that are implicated in cancer, heart disease, macular degeneration and other age related illnesses. Garlic and garlic scapes are an excellent source of manganese, as well as B6, selenium and iron. Garlic also has a powerful amino acid, alliin, which has an antibiotic and bactericidal affect. The fat in olives is mostly healthy, monounsaturated fat, and will aid your bodies' absorption of all of the vitamins and minerals in this dish. Lastly, the tofu feta is full of protein.

Vegans are often offended when you ask them where they get their protein. I have been asked this so many times, I can barely begin to count, but I've never taken offense. I love having an opportunity to share with people without making it feel like a criticism. I think people should do what works best for them, and that only they can decide what that is. I also absolutely love being a vegan and eating this way, so I'll talk to you about protein. Yes, I get a ton of protein in my diet. No, I don't eat piles and piles of tofu. It just happens to be in this particular dish.

Tofu Feta











1 brick firm tofu (I like sprouted tofu best)
2 Tbsp. sweet white miso
1/4 c. assorted olive brine
dried herbs, if you like

1. Just stir the miso and olive brine together. I always keep an assortment of black and green marinated olives around and cry every time I dump the brine down the sink. I know this sounds weird, but save that stuff! I promise you, it works!

2. Add a pinch of Italian or Greek herbs, such as oregano or marjoram and basil. This will intensify, so don't overdo it.

3. Allow at least 2 days to marinate. Cover it and place it in the fridge. It will become very salty and a bit sour from the miso cultures. It's at it's most "cheezy" in 3 to 5 days.

4. Strain most of the liquid away before serving. It really, really tastes like feta!


Anyway, we were talking about noodles before I got off subject. I also enjoy sweet potato noodles and will have to share these recipes at another time. I wanted to offer you a hearty, stick-to-your-ribs, zucchini noodle recipe. Earlier this year, I moved. For some reason, this made me crave the warmth and comfort of homey, traditional foods. I didn't, however, crave all the cooking that comes along with comfort food. So, I invented this soup and it's been a staple ever since.

Single Serving Zucchini Noodle Soup















2 c. low-sodium vegetable stock (I used mushroom stock, but whatever you have is fine)
1 big blob ginger paste
1 big blob garlic paste
1 large carrot, sliced
1 large celery stalk, sliced
4 baby 'bella mushrooms, sliced
1/4 c. frozen peas
1 big blob sweet white miso paste
1 large zucchini

1. Pour your vegetable stock in a big bowl or pan and cut it with a bit of water. This is to keep it from becoming too salty later, since the miso is very, very salty.

2. Toss in your ginger, garlic, carrots, and celery and heat on high in a pan or the microwave for about 5 minutes. The veggies should be tender, but not too soft. The flavor should be combined and nothing should be too overwhelming.

3. Spiralize your zucchini and add it into your bowl or pan with the mushrooms and peas. Just heat for 1 more minute. Then turn off the heat.

4. Allow this to cool slightly. The miso is a probiotic food with living beneficial bacteria. (Like yogurt or kombucha.) If the soup is too hot to touch with your bare hands, you will kill the bacteria. Once it is warm, not hot, add your miso and stir it in really well.

5. Eat right away. It is so yummy and soothing!


These are just a sample of the fun things you can do with a spiralizer. I think it is a fabulous toy for those of us who like to be creative in the kitchen. This could also be a useful tool when you are trying to incorporate more veggies into your diet or eliminate glutenous, starchy, processed pastas. It's a perfect stand in for macaroni and cheese or pasta Alfredo (which are easily veganized). There are so many fun recipes! I'll share more at another time.

So, I hope I this is something you will try soon. You won't regret it! Enjoy your week everybody!

Peace!
 - Ali


3 comments:

  1. Love it! I also suffer from being a "don't-know-what-to-do-with-it" spiralizer owner. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw "Forks Over Knives" and started eating an all-plant-based diet. The Spiralizer looks like something I'll use a lot on this culinary journey. Thank you so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete