Friday, July 13, 2012

Insane in the Grain


So, I'm not much for making videos (though it might seem that way lately). I was making granola and was briefly inspired to make a quick video on how to pop amaranth. It's one of my favorite things to do. I love finding new things to use and new ways to use them. I've been stuck on amaranth for years. When I took gluten out of my diet, I started eating brown rice... a lot! I actually put on weight because I was consuming so many carbs and so much rice! People think they will automatically lose weight on a gluten free diet, but this is absolutely incorrect. The possibility exists, but you have to make smart conscientious decisions. For me, that meant declaring all-out war on rice.


One of my favorite whole-grains in the whole world is quinoa. It's delicious and nutty and packed with protein. It can be a pain to handle as there is a slimy, bitter substance called "saponin" that needs to be rinsed off before you can use your quinoa. However, most grocery stores carry pre-rinsed versions of the whole-grain which makes my life a bit easier. It also makes my life a little more difficult as well, since quinoa is the new "darling" grain of health food gurus everywhere. Whenever something becomes this popular, it also becomes quite expensive. It's packed with protein and fiber, and since people can pronounce it correctly they will also consider eating it... and paying hand over fist. So I had to find other whole-grains that I like that wouldn't break the bank.


Another of my all time favorite whole-grains is millet. Millet is considerably less expensive than quinoa while still boasting many of the same health benefits. It doesn't quite have the same protein content or complex amino acids but it is full of B vitamins and vitamin E (giving you healthy, glowing skin and hair). It is particularly delicious lightly toasted before boiling to enhance it's nutty flavor. Cooked, it is just like couscous accept that it is a whole-grain and couscous is nothing more than a tiny pasta product. I also like to keep a big bag of puffed millet in my pantry. It is only a couple dollars for a huge bag and I like to use it in cereal and granola. The more "puffed" and "popped" grains you use, the crunchier and less calorie dense your final product will be.


Finally, we come to amaranth. Amaranth has abundant sources of lysine, an amino acid that aids in the production of collagen and elastin. (Cheap facelift, huh?!) Amaranth also rivals quinoa in it's protein content. It is a teenie-tiny grain, no bigger than the head of a pin. It is often overlooked by health experts and therefore is still sold dirt-cheap at most grocery stores. I love this grain! It is fantastic cooked. I use it in both savory dishes (like tabbouleh or pilaf) and sweet dishes (like porridge). It can be sprouted into the most deliciously sweet microgreens, and the red version of the grain makes lovely pink greens. But my new favorite use for amaranth is popped. It is fun and funny and delicious!


Here is a quick video I made to show you how cool and simple this can be:
Popped Amaranth


See?! That wasn't so hard!
I also enjoy throwing some of this into my chocolate bars to create a nice "crackle" without Rice Crispies.


In this next video, I will use the popped amaranth as well as several other whole-grains.
Carrot Cake Granola


1 c. shredded or chopped carrots (about 2 large)
1 c. applesauce or mashed banana
 1/4 c. maple syrup, agave, honey or stevia (add more to taste)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 to 1 c. old fashioned rolled oats or rolled quinoa
1 c. puffed millet
1 c. popped amaranth
1 c. sprouted buckwheat
1/4 c. shredded coconut (unsugared and unsulfured)
1/4 c. raw sunflower seeds
1/4 c. raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 c. raisins (mix in after baking)

Grease 2 cookie sheets and spread mixture evenly. *Bake at 200-250 degrees for 1 to 2 hours. Make sure to flip the mixture halfway through baking. The finished product should be very dry and crispy. Break apart into bite-sized clusters and add raisins. Store in an airtight container for up to a month.
*If you want to try to keep this "raw" you can use all sprouted buckwheat or other sprouted grains. Then place in your oven at 150 degrees with the oven door slightly cracked open. This takes several hours but will eventually completely dry out. It's a lot of work and takes patience, but if that's important to you then I wish you luck!

The finished product is so yummy and healthy. I like to eat it on yogurt, sprinkled over fruit salad, or mixed into my popped amaranth cereal with blueberries and almond milk. This is also a fun road trip snack or something you can stick in you backpack and take on a hike. It's very hearty, crunchy, and versatile!











Peace!
 - Ali



1 comment: