Friday, November 19, 2010

Ending on a High Note!

So I have had quite a year! It actually hasn’t been too bad. My daughter started kindergarten. I am so proud and a little terrified that she is growing up! We got a puppy! He is the cutest ever! A Jack Russel Terrier we named Zapp (like Zapp Brannigan aka The Zapper). I got a job teaching healthy cooking classes, then immediately lost it, then got it back. I lost 20 lbs. This is not a huge accomplishment, but I am glad to be working (slowly!!!) toward my goal. 20 lbs. next year will put me (I don’t know) pretty close to where I would like to be.

Of course there are a lot of changes that need to be made. I have recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromialgia. Let me be clear. I am not very happy about this. But, for some reason, I am at peace with it. At least I have an answer for all the pain I have been dealing with. Now I can begin to do something about it. For this reason, I have finally decided to become a full fledged vegan. My doctor believes that veganism (or at least avoiding dairy products) may help alleviate some of my pain and strengthen my bodies’ defenses.

Next, I am giving up gluten. Turns out I am joining the millions of people who suffer from Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance. Yeah, I’m shocked too! I had no idea, but in retrospect it kinda’ makes sense. I have had the symptoms forever and didn’t realize that they were all related to the same thing.

Lastly, it turns out I am deathly, and I mean deathly (I almost died last Christmas Eve) allergic to hazelnuts. Unfortunately, I am so allergic that I will not be able too eat any other nut, probably ever again. I have had a bad reaction to peanuts, and my allergist thinks it would be smart to avoid them entirely.

So that’s it. I am a Nut Free, Gluten Free, Vegan. Not by choice, but by necessity. I guess if it were to happen to anybody, I am glad it’s me. I am capable of changing my diet completely. I’m sure it will be hard at first, but I think I could even learn to enjoy it once I am more used to it. And as for "taking it easy" (you know, because I am arthritic and weak). Well, that’s simply not going to happen. In fact, I feel energized! I will be adding intensity to my workouts until I cannot stand it anymore, and then I will just have to take it up another notch. No way that I will be slowing down. I am so ready for a new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment